Photoshop tutorial - Selection tools - Veg Head
This lesson will cover :
Find a photo of a vegetable and save to your machine as .psd
- Selection tool overview
- the rectangular marquee tool
- elliptical marquee tool
- moving a selection
- selecting with the magic wand
- selecting with the lasso tool
- Adding and subtracting selections
- selecting with the magnetic lasso
- transforming a selection
- combining selection tools
Pupil - Elliptical selection tool
- Choose ZOOM tool and click twice on blueberry. - 300%
- Choose ELLIPTICAL SELECTION (marquee)tool (under the square
one) and drag over blueberry to select it.
- Choose MOVE tool (V) and drag blueberry onto carrot slice.
- Go to menu and choose SELECT -> DESELECT (APPLE +
- Choose ELLIPTICAL selection tool again and drag around carrot
- Choose MOVE tool (V) , hold down 'OPTION' key and drag a
duplicate of the eye onto the melon and release mouse.
- Hold down 'SHIFT + OPTION' keys and drag a copy of the eye to
the other side of the face.
- Choose ELLIPTICAL (round) marquee tool and make a selection
around the kiwi fruit.
- Hold down 'COMMAND' key and drag kiwi fruit onto face as a
- Choose MAGIC WAND tool, choose TOLERANCE of 50, and click
within the pear.
- To select the rest, hold down the SHIFT key and click within
the unselected part of the pear ( a '+' sign will appear - meaning
'add' to the selection).
- Hold down 'COMMAND' key and drag the pear nose onto face.
- DESELECT. Go to FILE - > SAVE.
Bowtie - freehand lasso
- Zoom in on bowtie pasta.
- Choose FREEHAND LASSO and click and drag from the top left to
top right of bowtie.
- Press 'OPTION' key and take finger off mouse.
- Then click the side jagged edge points.
- Then reverse the steps to finish the selection.
- Choose MOVE tool and place under the chin.
Chef's Hat - add and subtract selections
- Choose FREEHAND LASSO and make a rough selection around
- SHIFT key adds and the 'OPTION' key subtracts. Hold down each
key to add and subtract from the selection.
Ears - Magnetic Lasso - clings to areas of contrast.
- Choose MAGNETIC LASSO (underneath freehand one)
- Click on the edge of the grapefruit flesh and drag around.
- When selected move slice to veg head.
- EDIT -> FREE TRANSFORM (apple + T) to rotate it. Place
cursor outside of transform box . A curved arrow appears, and then
- Hit ENTER to accept transformation
- Use OPTION + MOVE tool to make a copy to other side of
- Repeat transform.
Eyebrows - marquee and magic wand
- Choose RECTANGULAR MARQUEE and draw a rectangle around
- Choose MAGIC WAND, hold down OPTION key and subtract from
- Click and all the white areas will be subtracted leaving just
- Click MOVE tool and drag across,then OPTION AND move tool to
- Click on EDIT -> TRANSFORM (apple + T) to rotate the
Cropping. Put a title over the veg head and CROP