Elena Tresh Foundation Florida
- T I P S
- Log your tapes first. Make a table with in, out, name, remarks,
yes/no. This is very important. Use this log sheet to do a batch
capture and just enter the ins and out-points.
- BRING YOUR HEADPHONES !! Just imagine the racket with 20 people
in a room with 20 different audio outputs driving you insane.
- Make sure the DV Camera is powered on and VCR selected before
connecting the firewire cable…and use 240 volts , not the
- To monitor audio properly, use headphones out of the DV
- Starting with Final Cut Pro(FCP)
- When you start FCP, it will open the last project. Select
- And select "new project" and save it to your personal folder. A
project file is not the video files. It is a text file, similar to
a recipe. It only contains the ingredients of your final project
and the instructions to the computer on how to assemble it !!
- Set your preferences. FCP has the annoying habit of retaining
the preferences from the last project opened.
- Choose "EASY SETUP" from the edit menu and select DV -
- Choose " LOG AND CAPTURE " from the FILE menu. If you don't
have a proper connection you will see " No communication " in this
window. Reconnect the firewire cable and make sure the DVCam is
powered up and set to VCR.
SELECT SCRATCH DISK PREFERENCES.
- This is where your captured media and render files are
- Open "LOG & CAPTURE" window and click the CAPTURE SETTINGS
- Click the SCRATCH DISKS button. Click the SET button and change
the folders to STUDENT/YOURNAME/VIDEOFILES/ or
- Why do this ? Do you want your video files clogging up the
systems disk and applications folders ? No .. Then put your
captured video where you can find it !!
- Create a new logging bin in the browser for your project.
Choose FILE - NEW - BIN
- Choose "Set Logging Bin" from the FILE menu .
- Click the logging tab and enter a reel name. 001 is fine.
- Locate the clip you want to log. Set the IN point and the Out
point. Click LOG CLIP.
- Carry on and select the portions you want to capture. When you
are finished make sure the tape is in the section that will be
- Click the BATCH CAPTURE button and choose "Offline items in
- Click OK . To stop a batch capture , press Escape.